Well, the first day of summer has come and gone and the weather is still feeling like winter/spring. Despite the disappointing weather this year, I’m pressing forward with things that will hopefully inspire summer to arrive.
I hope that everyone caught my post on Saturday featuring a fun summer giveaway AND links to 13 other giveaways going on right now. As I mentioned, ice cream is probably one of my favorite summer (or any time) treats. It’s something that really gets me in the mood for warm weather.
Grilling is another thing that gets me in the mood for summer. 6 out of 7 days within the week you can usually find my fiance and I grilling our dinner. I love that we can sit outside and chat while waiting for dinner to cook. Not to mention, grilling chicken or fish can help avoid using added fats while cooking. I also really enjoy grilling shrimp kebobs so you can imagine my excitement when I found this recipe for a Mango Rice Salad with Grilled Shrimp on the Cooking Light website. The combination of flavors in this dish scream summer and the best part is that it is extremely low in fat and calories.
If you’re not a fan of shrimp, I suggest putting chicken in its place. You’ll still be able to savor the wonderful flavor combination of curry, coconut and mango. You can also omit the shrimp altogether and serve the rice as a side dish for another meal. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- â teaspoon ground red pepper
- â teaspoon ground cumin
- 1Â½ pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 36 shrimp)
- 2 cups water
- â cup light coconut milk
- 1Â¼ cups uncooked long-grain rice
- Â¾ cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups diced peeled mango (about 2 mangoes)
- 1Â½ cups diced red bell pepper
- Â½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Bring water and coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Add carrot and next 7 ingredients (through salt); toss gently to combine.
- Prepare grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 12 (6-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack or grill pan coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Serve skewers over salad. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.